Now Hiring: Graphic Designer
December 20, 2019
Designers with experience working with nonprofits and/or event-based clients: check this out!
Updated January 17, 2020: The application period for this job has closed and no further applications will be accepted. Qualified candidates will be contacted in the coming weeks.
Marketing and Communications Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The part-time Graphic Designer will be responsible for fulfilling all design-related needs for the 2020 Maha Festival event season. Working in tandem with the Marketing & Communications Manager, the Graphic Designer will further develop Maha’s visual brand through applications like website updates and merch design. They will brainstorm concepts for all visual aspects of Maha communications — social media, eblasts, print and digital ads, and more — and see these concepts through to completion. The Graphic Designer will also support the team with document layouts, website content population, event signage, and other projects.
If you’re a good match for this position, you will have a multidisciplinary design background; have a fondness for eye-catching creativity, innovation, and current design trends; be OK with working under tight timelines; and be willing to tackle the unexciting projects with the same enthusiasm as the exciting ones. You will also need to bring serious attention to detail, sense of urgency, ability to prioritize, and willingness to collaborate with the rest of the Maha team.
Candidates should also be passionate about supporting the Omaha community and the creativity and culture happening inside of it.
A portfolio of recent and relevant design work is necessary to apply for this position.
Freelancers are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Concept and execute all pieces of Maha Festival’s communications and promotional materials, including but not limited to website design and content, eblasts, social media, merch, signage, print advertising, and document layout.
- Adhere to brand standards and ensure continuity of color palette, type, photo treatments, and other techniques.
- Maintain comprehensive library of design files and assets.
- Research and apply the latest industry developments and trends to your work.
- Ability to be present at the Maha office in North Downtown Omaha for 1-2 days per week, February through December. (Please note this is not a remote position.)
- Increased availability in peak months of February-April and July-August.
- Thoroughly adhere to the organization’s staff and communications policies.
- Occasionally carry out other duties as assigned.
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and others).
- Demonstrated experience with brand identity development, UX/UI and responsive website design, social media and/or digital display advertising campaigns, print and/or outdoor advertising campaigns.
- Knowledge of current email marketing best practices, including writing code for Mailchimp templates, or willingness to learn.
- Up-to-date on all social media campaign best practices, or willingness to learn.
- Experience with video motion graphics and/or merch design is a plus.
- Experience working with events is a plus.
- Experience working with print vendors is a plus.
- Familiarity with GSuite products (Drive, Documents, Sheets, Calendar).
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years graphic design experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Graphic Design or a related field.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, DESIGNATIONS, EQUIPMENT:
- Willingness to use own computer equipment.
Must be able to work at a computer for several hours at a time.
February to December 2020, 10-15 hours/week, $30-35/hour DOE
Please send your resume, cover letter expressing how your experience is a good match for this position, and visual portfolio of relevant work highlights to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Resumes without a cover letter and portfolio will not be considered.
Serious applicants only, please.
The Organization is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in hiring, firing, promotion, pay or any other term or condition of employment on any protected status as set forth by federal, state or local law, and may include such factors such as race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, ancestry, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected status. YFC prohibits discrimination based on an employee’s or a prospective employee’s genetic screening or testing information. Any employee who is aware of discriminatory conduct or who has any concern about a possible violation of this policy should immediately report the concern to their supervisor and/or the YFC Board Chair.
Maha is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on bringing people together. We curate and produce cultural experiences with the goal of positively impacting the economic vitality of our home city, Omaha. Our main event, Maha Festival, is a celebration of music and discovery that takes place in August every year.
Since our inaugural event in 2009, the festival has grown from one day to multiple, moved to a new home at Aksarben Village, and expanded a ton by incorporating a number of celebrated and creative community partnerships into the mix. Over the years Maha Festival has welcomed 100+ national and local musicians (including headliner Lizzo in 2019), dozens of speakers, and attendees from all 50 states — all fueled by a dedicated army of hundreds of amazing volunteers.