Apply Now for This 2019 Maha Internship
November 20, 2018
Do you have a healthy obsession for all things social media, and a desire to be a part of promoting the 2019 Maha events?
This is a fun opportunity for a student or recent grad to dive into digital marketing, working alongside the Maha team to spread awareness of the annual festival and conference. If this sounds like a good next step in your career, keep reading for internship details and how to apply! 👇
JOB TITLE: Marketing & Communications Intern
REPORTS TO: Marketing & Communications Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Marketing & Communications Intern will support the Marketing & Communications Manager on a range of promotional initiatives for the 2019 Maha event season, with a major focus on concepting, writing, designing, editing, posting, and monitoring social media content across all Maha channels.
If you’re a good match for this internship, you will be familiar with all major social media platforms (no judgments), have a great enjoyment of writing (including everything from blog posts to reports), be able to design basic graphics (or non-basic, up to you), have a good time bringing new ideas to the table (and making them happen), and be comfortable paying attention to the small details when necessary. Candidates should be passionate about supporting the Omaha community and the creativity and culture happening inside of it.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to be present at the Maha office in North Downtown Omaha for 12-13 regular hours per week, late January to late September.
- Increased availability in August, in particular the week of Maha’s flagship events (typically August 12-19).
- Adhere to the organization’s social media policy and communications plan.
- Maintain the Maha brand voice and visual identity through assigned communications and interactions.
- Regularly post to the Maha social media platforms in line with social media strategy.
- Contribute insight to and help execute Maha’s nontraditional marketing initiatives, e.g., public installations, promo events, ambassadorships, street team, etc.
- Support design and copy needs for email marketing.
- Assist with maintaining a 100% sponsorship fulfillment rate, which may include delivering materials, collecting sponsor content, adding logos to website, etc.
- Assist team with fundraising initiatives, including Omaha Gives!
- Help carry out other logistics related to media planning, community outreach, digital content creation, etc.
- Support communications efforts during Maha events, including answering inquiries, posting to social media, and working with members of the press.
- Track metrics and prepare reports on campaign success.
- Occasionally carry out other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent oneself with a positive and flexible attitude.
- Create and strive to meet personal and organizational goals.
- Act as an ambassador for Maha events, brand, and overall mission.
- Experience or relevant coursework in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or related field, with demonstrated experience in professional social media posting preferred.
- Experience with professional writing and/or editing.
- Knowledge of basic social media best practices, and willingness to research this ever-changing field.
- Familiarity with GSuite products (Drive, Documents, Sheets, Calendar).
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro) highly preferred.
- Familiarity with MailChimp or other email marketing platforms is a plus.
- Familiarity with WordPress content management system, or willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook, or willingness to learn.
- Experience managing multiple projects.
- Experience volunteering and/or managing volunteers preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Junior or senior status in college with a pending degree in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or related field -or- recent college graduate (last six months) with degree in those fields.
- At least one prior internship or job in a related field (minimum of three months) preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, DESIGNATIONS, EQUIPMENT:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Willingness to use own computer equipment
- Willingness to use own smartphone with available memory space and working camera
May be required to drive for meetings and to gather items for events. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Late January to late September 2019, 12-13 hours/week, $14/hour
Please send your resume, brief cover letter, and a short, relevant writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 14, 2018. Resumes without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered.
The Organization is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in hiring, firing, promotion, pay or any other term or condition of employment on any protected status as set forth by federal, state or local law, and may include such factors such as race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, ancestry, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected status. YFC prohibits discrimination based on an employee’s or a prospective employee’s genetic screening or testing information. Any employee who is aware of discriminatory conduct or who has any concern about a possible violation of this policy should immediately report the concern to their supervisor and/or the YFC Board Chair.
Maha is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to attract and retain talent in our region, and our festival is Omaha, Nebraska’s annually anticipated summer celebration. Launched in 2009, our dedicated board and staff — along with a growing community of volunteers, sponsors, and partners — have helped create this decade-long tradition of amazing live music and unforgettable experiences each August.
Since the start, we’ve welcomed more than 100 national and local musicians onto our stages, including Modest Mouse, The Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Run the Jewels, and most recently, Weezer. To truly showcase the cultural and social capital of our community, we’re broadening the way we invite the world to engage, beginning with the addition of a conference component in 2018.
Over the next decade, we seek to collaborate with various facets of the community to establish a multi-pronged event that occurs throughout a variety of venues and timeframes, and offers an array of engagement along the lines of South by Southwest, Treefort Music Fest, and others.